I used a combination of Cardo's basil and backyard basil for this pesto. if the pistachios are too expensive, try walnuts instead. If you want less astringency, feel free to add other greens to the pesto: parsley works great, as would beet greens!
If your pistachios are raw or unsalted, you will need to add significantly more salt. If using pre-salted nutmeats, be wary of adding any salt without tasting first!
Pistachio & Basil Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
1 fresh lemon (optional)
1 cup toasted Pistachios
1-2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
- If your pistachios are raw, toast in a 350° degree oven for 10-12 minutes until fragrant. Let cool.
- Grind cooled pistachios to food and process until finely minced.
- Add garlic and pulse a few times until chopped.
- Add basil and few TBS olive oil and pulse once or twice until combined
- Process for 15 seconds while slowly adding olive oil in a thin stream until mixture begins to slosh around in the bowl. DON'T over-process or it will become bitter!
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store tightly sealed in a clean glass jar and add a thin layer of olive oil to the top to seal. Pesto will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.