Cardo's CSA shareholders have had a wonderful opportunity to purchase local, all-natural, grass-fed ground Angus beef from Twin B Ranch during pickup the past few weeks. Twin B is family owned and operated here in Pilot Point, and I've really enjoyed feeding my family with his antibiotic and growth-hormone-free beef!
My absolute favorite thing to do with fresh, grass-fed beef is make a meatloaf. And I don't even make meatloaf to eat it that day - I make meatloaf for the leftovers. meatloaf exists solely for MEATLOAF SANDWICHES.
BEASTLOAF - an amazing Meatloaf
6 ounces bread crumbs, homemade croutons, or store-bought (garlic flavored) croutons
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 carrot, peeled and chopped roughly
1 sweet onion
4 whole cloves garlic
1 red bell pepper
2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 pastured egg
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tspground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- If using croutons, crush them in the bowl of the food processor until finely crumbled. Add crushed croutons (or breadcrumbs, if using) to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add carrots to food processor and process until finely chopped. Add chopped carrots the mixing bowl with breadcrumbs.
- Roughly chop 1/2 onion and 1/2 red pepper. Add to food processor with garlic and pulse until finely chopped (but not pureed). Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the ground beef to the work bowl along with black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, thyme, and the egg. Season with salt and combine thoroughly using your hands. Kneed, but don't squeeze the mixture.
- Pack the mixture into a bread loaf pan and press it to mold it into the shape of a loaf. Turn the molded loaf out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf, but avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe.
- To make the glaze, combine the ketchup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey in a small bowl. Finely chop remaining 1/2 onion and 1/2 red pepper and add to glaze. After meatloaf has been in the oven for 10 minutes, remove from oven, add glaze evenly to coat the top and sides and put back in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Meatloaf is done when the internal temp reaches 155 degrees.