Heirloom Tomato and Bread Salad
Assortment of ripe heirloom and sun-gold tomatoes
1 thick slice good quality, day-old bread5 or 6 leaves fresh basil
2-3 TBS good quality, fruity olive oil
1/2 TBS aged balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Toast bread slightly - don’t let it brown, just let the outside edges crisp a little. Cut bread into cubes and plate.
- Slice large tomatoes into wedges and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Top bread with the tomatoes and drizzle over olive oil and vinegar.
- Stack basil and roll like you would a cigar, then use a sharp knife to cut the stack into thin slivers. Garnish salad with basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.