2 or 3 bunches salad turnips and greens, divided
1-2 cups assorted greens (arugula, braising greens, etc.)
2 tbs butter, divided
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups chicken stock
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs white miso
- Quarter larger turnips and cut the smaller ones in half. Chop greens roughly and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turnips and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in spots and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup stock and sugar, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue cooking until the turnips are tender and the liquid is almost completely evaporated, 5-10 minutes. Add more stock as it evaporates from the pan. You might not end up using the entire 1 ½ cups.
- While the turnips cook, combine the miso and remaining butter in a small bowl.
- Once the turnips are al dente, add greens and cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the miso-butter and gently stir until the turnips are well coated.
- Serve with steamed potatoes or rice (or grain of your choice - I made SPAETZLE!).