1 bunch carrots, greens removed (roughly a pound)
1 bunch radishes, greens removed
1/4 cup manzanilla olives
3 TBS olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground caraway
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Set a large pot of water to boil on high heat. Prepare a large bowl of ice water for blanching.
- Using a mandoline, slice your veggies thinly. Carrots should be 3mm thin (or 1/8 inch), radishes and garlic should be 1mm (paper thin). Roughly chop the green olives.
- Blanch the sliced carrots in boiling water until fork tender, but not mushy. Remove from pot and add to ice water bath. After a minute, strain the carrots from the cold water and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add radishes and olives.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat and add ground spices and garlic to bloom. Cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until fragrant, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add bloomed spices and oil to the carrot salad along with fresh lemon juice. For the best flavor, let the salad marinate for a half hour before serving. Garnish with cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.